Have you lost, or broken your SmarTrip® card? Was it Stolen?
Do you have a new SmarTrip® card that you would like linked to your mass transit benefits?
Please follow these instructions:
1 If your card is broken, first try these steps to troubleshoot your card, to see if you need a new one. if it was lost/stolen or you want to transfer your benefits to a new card, please continue to step 2.
2.Get a new card. SmarTrip® cards can be purchased at Metro stations; Commuter Stores; CVS, Giant & Safeway stores, online or at over 400 retail locations across the region. Please visit WMATA Sales Locations for a full listing.
3. Register you new card with WMATA (Metro). If you have not done so, consider creating an account with WMATA to view all of your available balances (transit and personal purses) and add personal funds to your card.
4. Let the NIH Transhare Program know that you need your benefits transferred to the new card. This can be done online through our CAPS system, over the phone (301) 496-5050 or by email. Regardless of the method used to notify the program, it may take from 3-5 business days for your benefits to appear on the new card after the reassignment has been initiated.
To update online:
- Login to the CAPS system.
- Select the "Modify" button.
- Navigate through the screens and update any information regarding your commute, if it has changed.
- At the bottom of the second page after login is the current SmarTrip® card number that is linked to your account. Input your new card number, exactly as it appears on the back of your new card.
- Complete your account update by recertifying and submit the update to your account.
- You will receive two emails from "CAPS Admin." The first is a confirmation of your pending request, and the second once your request has been approved and processed.
- It may take up to 3-5 business days before your benefits will appear on your new card.
If you email us, be sure to include your NIH ID #, and your new SmarTrip® card number (please include the entire number). Also include your route information and the days your commute.
5. If you use CommuterDirect for MARC/VRE/DASH or a WMATA allocation account for vanpools, MTA commuter busses, MetroAccess, etc. you will need to update your CommuterDirect or WMATA allocation account with the new card number as well.
6. Contact WMATA and ask tem to transfer any remaining personal funds on your old card to your new one. WMATA representatives can be reached at (888) 762-7874.
Visit Using your SmarTrip® card on Transit Providers for more details.
Please contact the NIH Parking Office, (301) 496-5050 if you have questions.