Safe Dining Practices at the NIH
COVID-19 has affected all facets of NIH operations, including the provision of food services. Several creative food options are available on campus, delivered in a format intended to protect the NIH community. However, any food service can pose a risk to patrons if safe practices are not followed. This email serves as a friendly and gentle reminder to stay safe – and keep NIH safe – by maintaining your vigilance.
Keep in mind the following guidelines when visiting our on-campus food service locations:
- Maintain social distance of at least 6 feet. This includes when you are eating your lunch. Groups of employees have been observed eating lunch together at outdoor picnic tables, break rooms, building atriums and other areas where people can gather. While it is natural to want to eat with colleagues, it is not something that should be done at this time. There are many places for staff to enjoy their lunch while maintaining social distance, including picnic tables around campus, at tables on the first floor of the MLP-8 parking garage, study areas, conference rooms, lobbies, etc.
- Always wear your facial coverings unless you are actively eating or drinking.
- Please wipe down your table surface before and especially after eating.
- Wash your hands, or use hand sanitizer, before and after eating.
Should customers not follow the guidelines, the ORS will no longer be able to offer certain food services such as the food trucks and outdoor BBQ.
As a reminder, here are our current on-campus food options:
- Outdoor BBQ: Every Tuesday through Thursday, from 11:00am to 1:30pm (weather permitting). The BBQ will change locations weekly, rotating between the area outside Building 10 B-1 cafeteria and in front of Building 35.
- Food Trucks: Two trucks, one offering savory items and one offering desserts, rotating daily, from 11:00am to 2:00pm. The food trucks will change locations weekly, rotating between the Building 10H Parking Lot and in front of Building 35.
- Building 10 CRC Coffee Bar (FOR BUILDING 10 OCCUPANTS ONLY): Offering hot food, coffee, and specialty drinks from 6:30am to 8:00pm daily. Hot food includes a vegetarian option and rotates daily.
The opening of additional food service options (cafeterias, coffee bars, concession stands) will be contingent upon ability to operate safely, as well as, campus census. Please note: Provision of these food services is contingent on demand and may have to be altered due to low patronage.
For more information on campus food services, including locations and menus for the BBQ and food trucks, please visit https://www.ors.od.nih.gov/pes/dats/food/Pages/index.aspx.
Please send your suggestions or feedback on your experience at any of the operations to John Crawford at firstname.lastname@example.org.