Utility Construction to Modify Traffic Patterns on Center Drive near Wilson Drive
On March 20, the NIH began construction on utility infrastructure under Center Drive, near the intersection of Wilson Drive (in front of Building 2), to repair and replace aging underground steam system components.
The work will be conducted in two phases. Although there will be lane closures during construction, at no time will Center Drive be entirely closed to traffic.
Phase I: March 20 – August 20, 2017.
* One northbound lane and one southbound lane of traffic on Center Drive, just north of the Center/Wilson intersection, will be open to traffic at all times.
* A shortened left turn lane on Center Drive to Wilson Drive will be available.
* The sidewalk on the east side of Center Drive will be closed.
Phase II: August 21 – December 31, 2017.
* Construction work to be done during overnight hours; 7:30pm – 6am, weekdays and weekends.
* From 6am to 7:30pm, all lanes of traffic will be open; only one lane of traffic will be open during overnight work with alternating traffic; flag staff will be present to direct traffic.
* The sidewalk on the west side of Center Drive in front of Building 2 will be closed.
For a map detailing the locations and phases of construction, including the new traffic pattern, please visit: https://traffic.nih.gov/Documents/MH_EN-84-85_Ph.pdf.
The Office of Research Facilities and the Office of Research Services appreciate your patience and understanding as we complete this important and extensive upgrade to NIH utilities. Once complete, this project will ensure the reliability of heating systems for the surrounding campus buildings supplied via these steam lines. For questions regarding construction, contact the project officer, Luis Lebron at firstname.lastname@example.org or 301-402-8033.
For questions about this message, please contact the ORS Information Line at email@example.com or 301-594-6677. TTY is available at 301-435-1908. Please tune your radios to 1660 AM for NIH traffic, parking and perimeter security advisories.