Workplace Injury Reporting at NIH
The NIH promotes a positive safety culture where hazards are recognized and addressed to prevent employee injury.
Whether you are a supervisor or an employee, you play a vital role in maintaining the well-being of our community. Reporting injuries, illnesses and hazards as soon as they become apparent is how you can help ensure a safe and healthy workplace for everyone at the NIH.
It's not just the law, it's how we care for each other as a community.
Employees can assist by promptly reporting workplace hazards to the Office of Research Services, Division of Occupational Health and Safety (DOHS). In the event of a work-related injury, the employee should immediately seek medical care at the Occupational Medical Service (OMS), if possible.
Reporting an unsafe condition to DOHS:
Report hazards (anonymously if desired) by visiting:
Reporting an occupational injury or illness to OMS:
Work-related injuries should be reported by the employee or supervisor to OMS based on the location where the injury occurred.
- Maryland Campuses (Baltimore, Bethesda, Poolesville).
- Call the OMS Main Clinic at 301-496-4411 during office hours (M-F, 7:30am-5pm ET).
- Integrated Research Facility (IRF) – Frederick.
- Call the on-site OMS Clinic 301-631-7233 during office hours (M-F, 8am-4:30pm ET).
- Research Triangle Park.
- Call the on-site OMS Clinic at 984-287-4177 during office hours (M-F, 8am-4:30pm ET).
- Rocky Mountain Laboratories.
- Call the on-site OMS Clinic at 406-375-9755 during office hours (M-F, 8am-4:30pm MT).
Medical Emergencies in the Workplace:
For after-hours work-related emergencies (such as exposures to human/non-human primate body fluids or infectious agents) call the NIH Operator at 301-496-1211 and ask to speak to the OMS physician on-call.
For serious and life-threatening injuries call 911 from a mobile or NIH phone to obtain emergency medical service.
If you have questions or would like more information, visit DOHS at
https://go.usa.gov/xpsmU, call 301-496-2960, or stop by the Division of Occupational Health and Safety located in Building 13, room 3K04.
Thank you for doing your part in promoting a safe work environment at the NIH.
Colleen A. McGowan, MHA, FACHE
Director, Office of Research Services
NIH Designated Agency Safety and Health Official