Convent Drive Adjacent to Porter II Construction to Close Beginning Monday, November 28
- Section of Convent Drive to Close Beginning Monday, November 28 due to Porter II Construction
- Closure to Last Until Spring 2012
- PLAN YOUR ALTERNATIVE ROUTE NOW AROUND THIS AREA
- Emergency Vehicle and Shuttle Access ONLY
Construction continues on the expansion of the John Edward Porter Neuroscience Research Center (Building 35) -- commonly known as "Porter II." As part of this ongoing construction, electrical duct work, manholes and steam lines will be installed under Convent Drive. This next phase of construction will begin on Monday, November 28. The phase will last until Spring 2012.
During this period, only emergency vehicles and NIH shuttles will be permitted access through this area. We encourage all employees to become familiar with alternative routes to avoid this construction area. Upon completion, the area will return to existing conditions during the remaining Porter II construction.
- Motorists – Plan now for using alternative routes through this area to access parking garages. Garages MLP-6 and MLP-8, use the Lincoln Drive entrance. MLP-9 can be accessed via Center Drive and Old Georgetown Road. The hours of operations of these entrances and exits are:
Pedestrians and Bicyclists – During this period, we encourage all pedestrians and bicyclists to follow the safe routes through the construction area.
NIH Shuttle Service – We anticipate the NIH Shuttle Service will be maintained along this route, however, the shuttle stops may be temporarily relocated to ensure the safety of the passengers, as well the construction personnel working in the area.
- Center Drive/Old Georgetown Road – the hours of operation for Center Drive at Old Georgetown Road are 5 a.m. until 9 p.m., Monday – Friday, and from 6 a.m. to 4 p.m., Saturday and Sunday.
- Lincoln Drive/Old Georgetown Road – there will be no changes to the hours of operation for Lincoln Drive at Old Georgetown Road. Hours of operation will remain 6 a.m. until 7 p.m., Monday - Friday.
- South Drive will continue to serve as an exit only to Old Georgetown Road from 3 p.m. to 7 p.m., Monday – Friday.
- Limited handicap parking has been restored on South Drive and existing handicap parking on Convent Drive will be temporarily relocated to MLP-6 and MLP-9.
- Important Note: the Center Drive and Old Georgetown Road entrance/exit is also the location of the NIH Fire Department. Please be aware, emergency vehicles are routinely entering and departing via Center Drive. Do not block the fire lane while waiting for the traffic light to change.
For an updated map of the NIH campus and complete schedule of the hours of operation for entrances/exits, visit: http://parking.nih.gov/employee_access_map.htm.
The Office of Research Facilities and the Office of Research Services would like to thank everyone for their cooperation and understanding during this important construction project on the NIH main campus.
For questions, please contact the ORS Information Line at email@example.com or 301-594-6677, TTY - 301-435-1908. Tune your radios to 1660 AM for further NIH traffic, parking and security advisories.