Foil the Flu -- Employee and Contractor Influenza Immunization Program Starts Monday, October 1
Free Flu Vaccine Protects You, Patients and Family
Foil the Flu, the annual seasonal influenza immunization program for NIH employees and contractors, begins Monday, October 1 and runs through November 9, 2018. All employees and contractors with a valid NIH identification badge are encouraged to be immunized against the flu. The best way to reduce the risk of getting the flu is to get the flu shot every year. All staff who have patient contact, including both employees and contractors, are required to get immunized each year.
For the immunization schedule, including off-campus dates, a map to the immunization location on the main campus, as well as answers to frequently asked questions, please visit:
This year's main campus clinic:
The Hatfield Clinical Research Center
Building 10, 7th Floor Atrium, East Side.
(In the Hatfield CRC, take the central elevators adjacent to Admissions/Patient Travel to the 7th floor.)
Use the new Clinical Center "TakeMeThere" website,
http://www.takemethere.cc.nih.gov (search "Flu"), or download the NIHCC Take Me There app on your mobile device for directions to the CRC 7th Floor clinic.
- Starting October 9, there will also be off-campus sites providing free flu shots. Shady Grove, Bayview, Poolesville, Neuroscience Center, Fishers Lane and Rockledge locations are included on the schedule.
- Although the overwhelming majority of employees receive their immunization in 5 minutes or less, you can avoid longer wait times by arriving early afternoon or before the lunch rush. Early mornings during the first few campaign days tend to be the busiest. Employees intending to receive a flu shot must wear clothing that does not restrict access to the upper arm. Changing areas will not be available.
- Staff aged 65 years or older are eligible to receive a high-dose vaccine which has been shown to enhance protection against influenza in this age group. To learn more about the high-dose flu shot, visit:
- Flu vaccine is mandatory for all NIH employees and contractors who have contact with Clinical Center patients. Declination must be done in person at Occupational Medical Service (Building 10/6C306). Documentation will be required for all declinations, as well as for immunizations received outside NIH. Those who submitted written provider documentation of most medical contraindications last year need not do so again. Those who have severe egg allergies will no longer be exempt, as the egg-free, cell-based vaccine (Flucelvax) is available. Interested staff should review the following information before visiting the clinic:
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/protect/vaccine/cell-based.htm. Additional information on Flucelvax can be found at:
- Following immunization, the Occupational Medical Service (OMS) will send an e-mail certificate of immunization. Please save an electronic or printed copy of your immunization record. We encourage everyone to submit all suggestions, questions, and comments to
If, after checking the Foil the Flu website (https://www.foiltheflu.nih.gov), you still have questions, please contact Occupational Medical Service at 301-496-4411 or the Hospital Epidemiology Service at 301-496-2209.
Foil the Flu is sponsored by:
NIH Office of Research Services/Division of Occupational Health and Safety/Occupational Medical Service and the NIH Clinical Center/Hospital Epidemiology Service