Forms You'll Need
PDF documents on this page require the free Adobe Reader.
Below is a list of forms used as part of the background investigation process. Personnel Security will instruct you as to which form(s) are required for your particular background investigation.
You must be connected to the HHS/NIH network to access some PDF documents on this page.
An explanation of the Background Investigation process is posted elsewhere on this website (Click on: Step 4. Background Investigation). There you’ll find a convenient checklist as well as easy-to-follow instructions to help you complete the forms.
- HHS Form 745 – HHS ID Badge (Personal Identity Verification Card) Request (PDF, 5 Pages) : This form must be completed by all applicants and delivered to Personnel Security to initiate the PIV Process.
- SF 85, Questionnaire for Non-Sensitive Positions (PDF, 8 Pages) : (For illustration purposes only). Generally used by applicants in Low Risk or Non-Sensitive positions.
- SF 85P, Questionnaire for Public Trust Positions (PDF, 11 Pages) :(For illustration purposes only). Generally used by applicants in Moderate Risk, High Risk, or Public Trust positions.
- SF 86, Questionnaire for National Security Positions (PDF, 127 Pages): (For illustration purposes only). Generally used by applicants in Non-Critical Sensitive, Critical Sensitive, or Special Sensitive positions.
Note: Applicants who plan to complete this form should refer to the "Guide for the Standard Form (SF) 86, May, 2017 (PDF, 45 Pages) ." This aid spells out what information is required to complete each of the 29 sections of the SF-86 (Revised July 2017).
- OF 306 - Declaration for Federal Employment (PDF, 3 Pages) : Includes information used to determine your acceptability for federal and federal contract employment and your enrollment status in the government's life insurance program.
- OF-612 - Optional Application for Federal Employment (PDF, 4 Pages)
- SF-312, Classified Information Nondisclosure Agreement (PDF, 2 Pages)
- HHS Credit Release (PDF, 1 Page) : Information on this form will be furnished to the consumer reporting agency. One or more consumer credit reports may be obtained for employment purposes.