About the ORS Immersion Program
The Office of Research Services (ORS) Immersion Program was developed, in partnership with the NIH Administrative Training Committee, in order to provide Fellows/Interns with an in-depth, hands on, behind the scenes experience with select ORS activities and services.
The goal is to provide participants with the experience, information and contacts that will help them better perform their duties and, at the same time, provide valuable input to the ORS on the quality and effectiveness of the services they provide.
The ORS Immersion Program occurs three times a year, typically during February, June, and October. There are no more sessions scheduled for 2020.
As a participant, you will rotate through 15 different ORS Divisions/Branches in four days (Tuesdays/Thursdays) over a two-week period. You will be immersed into the service areas, learning what we do, why we do it, and how we make it all happen. The goal of the program is to provide you with an in-depth, hands on, behind the scenes experience with the
Office of Research Services' activities and services. The experiences and information you will take back to your respective ICs will be invaluable to you throughout your career.
The ORS Immersion Program is open to the following individuals:
- Participants in the Management Intern (MI) and Presidential Management Fellowship (PMF) programs
- Administrative Officers and Technicians
In addition, other staff who could benefit from the program will also be considered for inclusion.
- Be able to spend full day program sessions from 8:00am to 4:00pm with the ORS at different locations on-campus (you will be provided a schedule and directions at the kick-off meeting). Please make sure your supervisor (and/or rotational supervisor) approves for you to be away from the office during these days.
If you are not available for each full day, please defer your request to participate until your schedule permits full participation.
- Be able to attend scheduled kick-off meeting, to meet other participants, the ORS staff, and learn the logistics of ORS Immersion.
- Be able to have fun and experience the life of an ORS staffer.
- Carefully check your calendar, and let us know if you are interested in participating in this fantastic program.
Selections are made on a rolling basis. For more information, or to register your interest, please contact Courtney Bell or Tonya Walker at ORSImmersionProgram@nih.gov.
"There are so many moving parts and things happening around campus that I don’t see in my little administrative bubble. Visiting all the organizations and seeing everyone’s passion for what they do was not only fun and inspiring, but it gave me some perspective and made me proud to be a part of the NIH.
Elizabeth Hicks, NINDS, June 2018 Immersion Program participant
Participating ORS Divisions
DATS Division of Amenities and Transportation Services
DEM Division of Emergency Management
DFM Division of the Fire Marshal
DFRS Division of Fire and Rescue Services
DIS Division of International Services
DLS Division of Library Services
DOHS Division of Occupational Health and Safety
DP Division of Police
DPSAC Division of Personnel Security and Access Control
DPSM Division of Physical Security Management
DRS Division of Radiation Safety
DSEIS Division of Scientific Equipment and Instrumentation Services
DVR Division of Veterinary Resources
EMB Events Management Branch
MAB Medical Arts Branch