Office of Budget and Finance
ORS Office of Budget and Finance
The Office of Budget and Finance (OBF) advises the ORS Office of the Director (OD) and ORS leadership, divisions, offices and branches on the effective management of financial, personnel and other resources to achieve the ORS mission and to ensure that ORS operates in an efficient and fiscally responsible manner while controlling the obligations within the annual Fiscal Year (FY) budget allocation approved by the NIH OD Management Board Working Group (MBWG).
The functions of OBF include, but are not limited to the following:
- Plan, direct and coordinate financial management activities for ORS.
- Explain the ORS budget and develop information to address budget issues or concerns.
- Manage and monitor the execution of the ORS budget. Budget execution is the process federal agencies use to allocate and manage financial resources. For ORS, this include preparing, entering and managing the Internal Agency Agreements (IAAs) and the funds received for the services provided by ORS to the National Institutes of Health (NIH) Institutes and Centers (ICs), Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) and other federal government agencies.
- Administer ORS's budget and funds control systems and assure that the accounting of ORS funds is compatible with the NIH and HHS accounting systems.
- Manage the preparation of the ORS FY Budget Formulation coordinating the activities with the ORS Advisory Committee (ORSAC) in coordination with the MBWG guidance.
- Provide ORS leadership, divisions and offices with reliable financial, personnel and other resource data.
- Perform analysis and provide information about ORS's historic, current and prospective financial trends.
- Develop background and briefing materal for the ORS Director and other ORS divisions, offices and branches for presentation to the research community, Congress and the public as requested.
- Participate in ORSAC budget briefings and develop responses to questions from the MBWG regarding the ORS budget and financial management.