The staff of the Division of International Services (DIS) provides services to foreign national scientists at the National Institutes of Health related to their particular immigration status within the United States. In accordance with U.S. immigration laws and regulations, the staff members assist non-immigrants with the following:
- Initial entry into the U.S.
- Travel/re-entry into the U.S.
- Transfers to/from NIH
- Extensions of stay
- Changes of immigration status
- Reinstatement of immigration status
- Waiver applications of two-year foreign residence requirement
- Permanent Resident petitions for senior appointees
- Accompanying dependents' issues
- Orientations, seminars and training conferences
Staff members of the DIS also advise and assist foreign national scientists with a variety of other matters related to the specific non-immigrant status.
Zoom “Walk-in” hours will begin 7/27/2020, Monday-Thursday from 1:30 - 3:30 pm EST. In-person advising with DIS is suspended until further notice. For case-specific questions or questions that may take more than 15 minutes to address, NIH scientists and staff should email DIS@mail.nih.gov to schedule an individual advising appointment via phone, Skype, or Microsoft Teams.
During walk-in hours, use this link to join the Zoom session:
When you log in, you will enter the Zoom waiting room. This service is first-come, first-served. The Immigration Specialist will meet with you once s/he finishes advising other scientists.
DIS Office Location on the NIH Bethesda campus
NIH campus map